Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Designer of the Day: Thakoon

Fashion Week continued today in the city that never lets fashion sleep. And while I am desperately awaiting pics from today's shows, my personal style bible posted collection photos from yesterday's shows online today. Let me tell you, next fall we are in for a roller coaster of the good, the bad, and the FUGLY. But trust me, we will get to that.

For now I want to share my personal favorite designer at NYC Fashion Week this season: Thakoon Panichgul. A Thai fashion designer who graduated from my own alma mater, Boston University. Panichgul was thrown into the spotlight last fall with his unique take on off-the-wall prints and layering of different fabrics. All school pride aside, this guy totally rocks. His designs are trendy, feminine, and form fitting. And his new line for Fall 09, is more than up to par.

Accesorizing with the reoccurring theme of Russian sportswear, he had his models in ushankas. And while they are hardly a fashion must have for anyone outside of Siberia, they blended in well with his line of small print fabrics and texturized looks. Some critics say his show lacked focus, but if nothing else, I find Thakoon to be utterly consistant. If you need a basic blouse, classic skirt, or a-line dress, Thakoon is your guy. And what's better is that his pieces are truly individual; there isn't anything else out there like them.

My prediction for the look that will get the most press: The Royal Blue Party Frock



Royal blue layered ruffles look amazing on almost everyone and the print he chose for that style makes it look as if she is covered in peacock feathers, which is another reoccurring trend for next fall. Coupled with opaque black tights and sweet ass patent pumps, that look will be shaking its tail feathers all over the fashion spreads next season.

My personal favorite piece from the show: The 60s style Zebra Jacket



I like this because a) It's animal print b) it's an under stated statement jacket c)it screams Jackie-O meets Sex and the City. What's not to love?

If you are liking Thakoon for next season, I suggest trying some of him on for this season. What's that you say? "I'm a broke ass hoe and can't afford his effing expensive shit." Well do I have some news for you, my penniless friend. Thakoon did a line for Target that came out at the end of December and is now on Target.com at clearance prices.

My must have piece from the bargain basement goodies left on the website: The Pleated-Stripe Dress



"That dress looks like a circus tent", you say? Shut up. I know it looks like a tent, and it probably fits like one. But it's on clearance and that allows us permission to edit to make the circus freak into the main attraction-

My fashion editing suggestion:
1) Go to your local fabric store/art store/scrapbook store and buy a yard to a yard and a half of 1 inch to 2 inch thick gross-grain ribbon in either kelly green or navy blue.
2) Tie that sucker around your waist (or wear it's most comfortable, tying it at the hips works too) in a tight bow
3) Cut the ends at an angle to fit
4) Wear the bow in front or in the back, depending on how girly you can stand to look (or tie it in a knot if bows make you vomit)
5) Wear your $22 Thakoon dress with pride and take note of how slimming those diagonal "circus tent" stripes make you look. Also take note of how well the ribbon pronounces your tiny waist and gives you a feminine figure line.
6) Take a picture of how cute you look and send it to me, commending me on an internet styling job well done :)

Never say that you can't afford designer clothes again, 'cause bitch, you got on some fly shit. And it cost a quarter of what you paid for your stupid biology text book on half.com. How's that for looks before books?

2 comments:

  1. Not sure if you knew... but www.nymag.com post pics from everyshow immediately after

    xx zeny

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are amazing. i love this dress even circus style. and i hate the circus.
    come look at my closet and do things with it!!

    xx nina

    ReplyDelete