Friday, March 6, 2009

Shopaholics Anonymous: Jewelry that's Just too Juicy

Welcome back to Shopaholics Anonymous, the place where it's okay to shop your heart out, but if you must you must, do it with style. Let's begin with a personal anecdote:

I woke up this morning to an email from Nordstrom with this headline: "Just In: Fresh, Affordable Dresses". I can buy a dress from Nordstrom that's not only fresh, but affordable as well? Nordstrom, affordable? The shopoholic inside of me was jumping with joy. I know I'm a dirt broke, but perhaps I can afford an "affordable" dress.

Oh, you best know that I opened that email rather than just trashing it, as per usual. And I'm glad I did. While the dresses featured are less than mediocre, and none of them are actually even under $100, the featured jewelry on the other hand was simply delightful.

Now let's be honest, I am not a fan of Juicy Couture. I hate those God forsaken sweats with a passion. In fact, they are the bane of my existence. Sweats are NEVER a fashion statement, people. Sweats are in fact, for SWEATING in, hence the clever name. So the whole glorified work out clothes thing can go suck it. If I'm going to work out I am not going to wear fake velvet. Do I want to overheat within the first five minutes of my run? I think not.

But Juicy jewelry on the other hand, is quite delicious. It can be obnoxious, don't get me wrong. But usually Juicy does a great job of copying more expensive jewelry trends, adding a little bit of their own flair, and slapping a more affordable price tag on it. In fact, my signature black and gold bracelet is Juicy and everyone always mistakes it for a Chanel bracelet. So, so when I saw the featured "affordable" jewelry in the email, the shopaholic/Juicy jewels fan inside of me simply could not resist.

Shopaholics, allow me to introduce the Juicy "Wish" Necklace. The newest, most affordable, MUST have item on my hit list.



This necklace is so cute! It comes in six different styles, ie: six different charms. It's only $48, but it looks like it costs way more. It's perfect as a gift for birthdays or ::cough, cough:: graduations... :)My personal favorite style is the Mother of Pearl Flower necklace.



And the great thing about this one is that it has a matching ring! SO obsessed. The ring is a little more pricey, $88. It's gorgeous though, a total knock off of last season's giant Chanel flower ring.


But here's where I have to be true to the Shopaholics anonymous mantra: I definitely do not need this $88 enormous ring. It is pretty, and yes I do want it. It also totally matches the Wish necklace. But chances are, I can find a similar one for much cheaper.

And I did.


It took me literally less than one minute to find a mother of pearl, GIANT flower ring at Forever21. And the price tag on this one: $3.80. UMMMMMM. Excuse me? I totally just bought it, in all three colors. (black, cream, and magenta) I just spent less than $12 to get THREE rings for a tenth of the price of what the Juicy ring would have been. And the cream one will match the necklace I want perfectly.




I feel fulfilled. Not only did I allow myself to shop for something I want, but I used self control, and in fact saved $70 and came out with THREE new rings for the price of less than one. This is truly Shopaholics Anonymous at work.

On another note, I still continued to click away on the Juicy jewels on the Nordy's site after I made my Forev purchase. And I found such the cutest new charms for the Juicy charm bracelets! I personally do not have one of those giant bracelets, because they are super heavy and not practical for me, but I LOVE the charms that Juicy puts out for them. My favorite from their new line: The White Elephant



How cute is he!? He's not too pricey, at just $52. And he opens up like a locket with space inside of him to keep things. While this is feature somewhat useless since the elephant is rather small, it's a good place to store earrings if you need to take them out for whatever reason.




I really like him, and I have this great idea of how I can still wear him and not get that charm bracelet. Wouldn't it be so simple and cute to wear the white elephant as a necklace? If you just get a plain gold chain, and stick him on there...TA DA! You have a super cute white elephant locket necklace that you made yourself. And it was only $52. You could even take the flower charm off your wish necklace and replace it with the elephant every now and then; a "wish elephant" necklace, if you will. And India Chic is so in right now, and this elephant is SO India chic.

Sometimes I am so innovative, I scare myself.

So lessons learned from SA today:
- Sweats are for sweating in
- Juicy jewels are your friend
- When it comes to being chic and cheap...use your imagination
- I am wearing that elephant to the Britney concert in 10 days, it's not only India chic, it's totally Circus chic too.

I'm off to California for spring break tomorrow, so stay tuned for updates from the West Coast fashion scene.

Keep it sassy. Styleyze, OUT!

1 comment:

  1. There was this silver metallic Juicy leather cuff with a heart lock on it that I wanted to get a year ago.

    ReplyDelete