Monday, April 6, 2009

Fashionably M.I.A.

It's been a while.

My apologies for my two weeks of M.I.A.ness. Between three research papers, a Britney concert, and shiploads of visitors streaming through my apartment, I put the blogosphere on hold. But the good news is that I'm back. And fashion has hardly been put on hold during my absence, so I have a lot to catch up on.

But first, a few musings from my rainy Monday--
1) Rain is possibly the most fashionably un-friendly weather. It's been raining in Boston for almost a week now and I am slowly running out of rain-friendly, yet fashion forward clothing. My solution- wear rain galoshes for your commute to work/school (leopard print from Forever21, because spending more than $30 for water resistant rubber is obsurd and galoshes should be fun and silly, not boring. rain is boring enough as it is.), and carry a pair of super cute flats or sweet sandals in your bag for when you get inside, a nice reward for just having to trudge through the rain.

2) I got the new Victoria's Secret swim wear catalogue in the mail today. This made me happy and sad. It made me happy because it reminded me that summer was on its way. It made me sad because the idea of buying a swim suit when it's 40 degrees out and raining is literally disgusting. But April showers supposedly bring May flowers, hence I will envision a sandy beach when I purchase my favorite items from the catalogue:

The Lilac Embroidered Sliding Triangle Top with Low-Rise Bottoms

This is an awesome suit for two reasons: 1) It is lilac and lilac looks good on almost everyone, plus purp is totally hot this season. 2) The sliding triangle top is better than a string bikini because if you have tig ol' bittays (aka: big boobies) you can adjust the top for better support/coverage without having to resort to some full coverage granny bullshit bathing suit.

The Embroidered Strapless Bra Top Dress

This dress is definitely going to be a staple for me this summer. I LOVE IT. It comes in six different colors, though I love "perfectly pink" and "coffee bean" best. It's double lined, so even though it looks see-through it's NOT. And it had a built in bra! No strapless, uncomfortable shit to deal with. Besides, who wants to wear a bra with a sundress anyways? It's loose and sexy without being whore-ish. And it can be worn during the day for shopping and lunch with mom, to a beach bbq and bonfire, or out to a sunset dinner with your lovah. So versatile, so trendy (ie: totally goes along with the whole boho look that is all over the mags for this summa), and under $100 bucks! Just say yes.

While it's a little early to be talking about summer (I think it's best to talk about beach wear and 90 degree weather after Easter. Similar to the "no white after Labor Day" rule, "no summer talk til after Easter". It's a little sacrelig, especially since it's not even 50 degrees out yet.), I was just so excited about the new catalogue that I had to give a sneak preview.

3) The season premiere of the 5th season of The Hills aired tonight! And in my opinion, as cheesy and as mentally draining and mind numbing as that show can be...it's AMAZING. If for no other reason, the show is amazing because of the clothes. Seriously, those girls are gorgeous and stupid and dramatic (and so am I) and at the same time they deal with all their drama in STYLE. What's not to love???



If one thing besides Spencer Pratt's ugly fucking mug caught my eye tonite, it was Heidi's ski chalet beanie! Feathers are all the rage, and while I would rather slit my wrists and draw a warm bath than buy one more winter hat, her blue ski cap with white feather adornment was SO ADORABLE. Can't secure any pics of it as of right now, but I will be posting it as soon as I can get one. Definitely a hot item/idea to keep in the fashion vault for next ski season!

So, again, I apologize for my missing in absence. I promise I will be back in action, especially since Spring has officially sprung and there is SO much to talk about. In fact, in honor of spring and all its glory, I cordially invite you to a Styleyze Spring Soiree: A Tea Party for the Fashionably Forward, tomorrow April 7, 2009 here at www.styleyze.blogspot.com. Please arrive fashionably late.

PS- Happy birthday to the most stylish mom on the planet, my own Mama Martinez. Love you Mom! Thanks for teaching me everything I know about clothes, class, and cupcakes:)

1 comment: